Terms & Frequently Asked Questions
- Full payment is required prior to starting work. I’ll be glad to bounce some ideas around with you on the phone before invoicing you.
- I use PayPal for my billing, which allows you to pay with a debit or credit card. You can also pay via electronic check if you have your own PayPal account.
- The costs of a domain name and a hosting account ARE NOT included in this price.
The following items may require additional cost. Let’s discuss if any of these apply to you.
- I prefer to work with the Genesis framework and the themes from StudioPress because they are coded well, are extremely flexible in terms of design, and the support forums are fantastic. If you choose a theme from somewhere else, you can email it to me and I will take a look at it to see whether it’s easy to work with and if a price supplement is necessary.
- If you want to have access to detailed Genesis tutorials and have unlimited updates and support, plus the ability to use Genesis on an unlimited number of websites, you must purchase Genesis directly. Current price is $59.95. Otherwise, I can install Genesis and your StudioPress theme, but you will not have access to those features.
- Mega menus
- Large numbers of photos or images. These typically require a lot of work that involves re-sizing, formatting, and image compression to reduce image file sizes to speed up your website’s load time.
- E-commerce sites
- Installing and configuring payment processors such as PayPal, Authorize.net, etc.
- Real estate or rental property sites with large numbers of properties that require images, databases and search widgets for price range, location, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.
- Online restaurant menus, depending on scope and complexity
- Long, detailed forms such as applications that contain dozens of fields
Domain name and hosting account
- The costs of a domain name and a website hosting account ARE NOT included in this price. If you do not already have both, I can purchase them from GoDaddy or a similar provider at the going rate and invoice you via PayPal for the actual cost.
- The account will be set up in your name with your contact details, and the hosting provider will notify you by email when the account comes up for renewal annually. Generally speaking, the cost for a domain name and a hosting account is about $50 per year, but I can usually find promo codes that reduce the cost.
- You agree to provide me with your hosting account username and password so that I can install and configure WordPress prior to building your website.
Logos, photos & images
- If you want to use an existing logo, please email the file to me with a transparent background, ideally in vector format (files ending in “.ai” or “.eps”). Vector files can be resized larger or smaller without any loss of resolution, so that the images remain crisp and clear at any size.
- If you don’t have a logo I can build your site without one and use your website name in the header like I do here. A logo can always be added later. Don’t stress out and spend too much time on this … it’s a common mistake I see a lot of people make, spending days or weeks trying to find the perfect logo, and it doesn’t really matter that much in the long run. People don’t buy based on your logo.
- The stock photography websites have thousands of professionally-designed illustrations that can be used as logos, and it’s worth taking a look to get some ideas. Browse through iStock, BigStock, and CanStock. Most are available for purchase in vector format (.eps) for a small fee.
- Flickr also has a large archive of beautiful, FREE photographs that can be used under a Creative Commons license, as long as you credit the author. Here’s a short tutorial on how to find and use free photos from Flickr on your website.
I have an existing website that I want to leave in place until my new website is completed. Is that possible?
Yes. I can build your site in a separate folder on my website where you can view it white it is being built. Once completed the files can be transferred to your hosting account. Requires $75 surcharge.
Times vary, but right now it’s a day or two if I get all of your content upfront.